The summer months bring along a wonderful abundance of fresh and in season produce and the craving for lighter fare. A combination that the dietitian in me enjoys! With Farmer's Markets cropping up all over the place and better prices in the grocery store, now is the time to take advantage. Here are some ideas for getting interesting and satiating snacks into your diet.
Some Snack Rules:
- Healthy, unprocessed carbohydrates will help curb any immediate feeling of hunger. Fruit, vegetables, or whole grains are all great options.
- Pair it with a little bit of protein and/or fat to help stay fuller for longer.
- Snacks are meant to keep your body supplied with energy when there are long bouts between meals. Regimenting your body to expect healthy energy throughout the day may in fact improve your metabolism and help reduce hunger cravings.
- 1/2 whole grain english muffin or 1 slice whole grain toast with peanut butter
- Strawberries with a little bit of vinaigrette to enhance the flavor
- Low fat cheese slices or laughing cow cheese spread over cucumber slices (instead of crackers)
- Fresh cut apples with peanut butter
- Start dipping quarters of peppers into [spicy] salsa
- Any vegetable dipped in hummus (carrots and snap peas are a personal favorite)
- Wrap sliced carrots and avocado in lettuce (and dip in a light asian sesame salad dressing)
- Throw some frozen or fresh berries in low fat yogurt
- Combine trail mix or granola with freshly sliced melon or berries
Enjoy the snack ideas, hopefully catered to your own taste!