Welcome to Witty Nutrition
Whitney Ahneman is a Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist and a Certified Dietitian-Nutritionist in the state of NY. Whitney received both her Bachelor's and Master's degrees in Dietetics from Boston University and completed her Dietetic Internship at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center in Boston.
Whitney completed her Certified Diabetes Educator credential in 2014 to include comprehensive self-management and medication teaching. She has also undergone advanced clinical training in adverse food reactions as a Certified LEAP Therapist to help clients understand and manage food allergy, sensitivity, and intolerance.
Whitney spent the first few years of her career as a Clinical Dietitian at White Plains Hospital before moving on to Maple Medical, LLP, an impressive multi-specialty medical group, to establish and grow nutrition services as a part of their practice. She then co-founded a healthcare technology company, Witty Health, which focuses on the utility of blockchain and intuitive technology in healthcare.
While Whitney and her co-founding team work to get Witty Health into the marketplace, Whitney is a Clinical Nutrition Manager at Coney Island Hospital. CIH is part of the NYC Health + Hospitals corporation, the largest public (safety net) hospital system in the country. There she leads a team of eight dietitians and nine support staff in both inpatient and outpatient programming. Whitney copiously tracks performance improvement data to help drive effective strategy for the department.
Whitney's primary interests in nutrition surround wellness and healthy aging, insulin resistance and diabetes care, inflammation, nutrition informatics, and management of gastrointestinal disorders. She takes a particular interest in public policy and the changing landscape that is our current healthcare system.
On a personal level, she enjoys cooking (read: enjoys FOOD), running/pilates/staying active, learning about various wines, using power tools during a fun DIY project, and cheering on New York sports teams. And of course, spending quality time with family and friends.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Nutrition Entrepreneurs
MY NUTRITION PHILOSOPHY
Nutrition is meant to be a combination of manageable over the long haul while optimizing good quality nutrients for one's personalized health needs. I try to help unlock that balance for clients, teach them just enough about the physiology of the body to help motivate change, and provide practical tips and tools for enacting change.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food” - Hippocrates
“Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” - Michael Pollan
“You are what you eat so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake.” - Unknown
Interested in learning more?
Connect with me on social media!
- Increased hospital billings to >$1.3M annually through malnutrition initiative
- Liaises strategic partnerships within nutrition and healthcare community for Witty Health.
- Created the nutrition program in a medical practice that delivers continuous care to 10,000+ patient population.
- Among patients during tenure at Maple Medical, over 2000 lbs lost, strong metabolic (most notably, lipid and glycemic) improvements and hundreds were able to decrease, avoid starting on, or discontinue taking medications.
- Received CARES Award at White Plains Hospital for outstanding patient care.
- Contributed to researching and writing sodium legislation in Massachusetts in 2010 as part of the National Sodium Reduction Initiative.
- Has contributed to research, resources, and/or copy editing for 3 published books: Your Nutrition Solution to Inflammation by Kim Tessmer, Your Nutrition Solution to Acid Reflux by Kim Tessmer, and Perseverance by Carolyn Rubenstein.